COLORADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM
Chemical Assessment and Management Planning
APPROVED: April 24, 2015
EFFECTIVE: April 24, 2015
REVISED: March 10, 2021
REFERENCE(S): Board Policy (BP) 19-40, Emergency and Safety Planning
/ Joe Garcia /
Joseph A. Garcia, Chancellor
This procedure applies to the Colorado Community College System, including its Colleges (CCCS or System).
In accordance with Board Policy (BP) 19-40, Emergency and Safety Planning, the Colleges and the System Office must implement a proactive chemical management program to make certain that chemicals, hazardous materials, and toxic substances are handled and stored safely.
Each College and the System Office must:
- Implement and keep current a chemical safety, management and emergency response plan, either as part of a college-wide emergency response plan or as a separate document;
- Assign an individual or team to be responsible for chemical safety;
- Inventory and keep current a list of all chemicals and hazardous materials used at the College;
- Develop and keep current Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all chemicals and hazardous materials used or stored at the institution;
- Develop a system for keeping chemicals and hazardous materials stored separately by hazard and compatibility class;
- Conduct a comprehensive System-wide school chemicals and hazardous materials review on an annual basis to ensure container safety and disposal of chemicals that are unnecessary or that have an expired shelf life; and
- Implement a written chemical and hazardous materials purchasing policy.
Revising this Procedure
CCCS reserves the right to change any provision or requirement of this procedure at any time and the change shall become effective immediately.